Business Boost | 24 February 2017 - by KCOM
Is your business ready for a spring clean?
As the financial year-end approaches is your business ready to meet the challenges ahead?
In Game of Thrones, Ned Stark may be obsessed that “winter’s coming” – but for the rest of us winter has already been and gone.
In fact, as the wintry excesses of frost, freezing temperatures and long, dark nights are consigned to the past for another year, there’s almost a touch of spring in the air. All of which is good, but there is a catch. The passing of winter and the start of a more upbeat business year beckons a flurry of activity for many SMBs.
As well as the rush towards the financial and tax year-end for many businesses, this time of year offers a great opportunity for a thorough spring clean. But how can you manage your way through the upheaval of year-end and prepare for the opportunities of 2017/18 in the most stress free way?
Follow these helpful hints and tips and not only will you sail through year-end but you’ll be ship shape and ready for the challenges ahead.
- If you haven’t started planning yet, do it now. Create a countdown. Start gathering all the information you need so you won’t be rushing around at the last minute looking for lost paperwork. April sounds like a long way off, but it will be here before you know it.
- Make sure your files, receipts and invoices are all in order and stored safely in case the tax man has any queries.
- Check all your computer data is complete and in the right place. And then create a back-up, you can never be too careful.
- Make sure all your employee details are correct and up-to-date, from NI numbers to addresses.
- If you carry stock, do a stock check. It’s always good to know what you’re carrying and what you need to replenish.
- Looking ahead, it’s time to update your business plan. Work out where you want to be at the end of the next financial year. Set your goals, fix your targets and then work out a realistic plan of how you're going to get there.
- Know who you are going to need to help you achieve your goals. Make sure they share your vision and what their part in it will be. Set them ambitious but achievable goals.
- Is it time to update your image? Are you doing enough social media engagement? If you're not pushing your business online, why not?
- Update your customer and supplier lists. Are there better and more cost effective suppliers you could be using with a little research? Are there customers you want to reach? Is now the time to introduce yourself to them?
- Ask your employees what’s not working. Ground level employees often have a different perspective to their boss – and they can see solutions to problems and improvements to working practices not always visible from above.
- Vet your expenses. Can you source cheaper utilities, phone or shipping bills?
Ready to refresh your services with us?
As part of your spring clean, you might want to refresh your services with us.
Save on calls with SmartComms
Businesses can save up to 30 per cent on calls by moving to SmartComms, our easy to manage phone system. SmartComms enables your employees to take their landline wherever they go and helps remote-working teams to collaborate on the same project from wherever they are. Unlike traditional systems, there are no up-front hardware costs and you pay per user which helps keep your monthly costs at a minimum. For more details visit our SmartComms product page.
Maximise free minutes on our mobiles
With our business mobiles, you'll get access to all the latest handsets and a range of added benefits. By partnering with o2, our plans automatically give every customer inclusive EU minutes and data - meaning you can use your business mobile at no extra cost when travelling in these countries. You'll also benefit from free calls from your business landline to any KCOM business mobile.
Clean up your systems with hosted services
Tidy up your systems and get the benefit of accessing your business-critical resources wherever you are. Take the worry away from managing on-site with hosted services from us, including:
- Backup – automated daily backups to the cloud
- Mail – business email service
- Co-location – secure server hosting in Hull