Business Boost | 12 January 2017 - by KCOM
Is your business primed for 2017?
Is your business 2017 ready as Hull steps into the culture spotlight?
Hull has been reverberating to the sound of cash registers ringing as thousands of visitors descended on the city this January.
Tempted by the spectacular Made In Hull illuminations and the giant Blade wind turbine sculpture, an estimated 340,000 people have ventured into the city centre to see the City of Culture launch.
It’s no secret that the tourist economy in Hull and East Yorkshire is big business.
Every year the region welcomes 13.7 million people to the region, worth an estimated £757m to the economy. And 2017 already looks set to blow those statistics out of the water.
Here are some tips to make sure you can give your customers an excellent service during City of Culture year.
- Make sure your premises are smart with eye catching window displays. This is the city of culture so make your shop windows sing.
- Are your staff geared up to offer excellent service? Do they know what’s happening in the City of Culture programme? Do they know when and where it’s happening? Can they recommend a show to see, an architectural gem to visit or somewhere to grab a bite to eat?
- Do you have a stack of 2017 programmes on your counter that people can peruse? Do you know what websites and social media accounts to visit?
- Are you shouting loud enough about what you do? Are you using social media to broadcast any special City of Culture tie-in deals, events or opening hours you are holding?
- Don’t be scared to blow your own trumpet, no-one else will do it for you. Target customers who may be heading into Hull for 2017 events and tell them what you’re doing.
- Is your IT up to speed? Could your transactions be sped up?
To help businesses get match fit for the year ahead tourism body Visit Hull & East Yorkshire (VHEY) has launched its own training programme – called The Big Welcome – to help local businesses increase their knowledge of Hull and learn customer service tips that will give visitors the best possible experience of the city.
The Big Welcome training workshops will be held throughout 2017 and are open to all businesses – visit www.visithullandeastyorkshire.com and click on ‘Business’ to find out more and book.